If you’ve been keyed into the news this week, you’ve come face to face with the health revelation that Big Sis has been waiting for the data to come in on… It would seem that nuts are not just yummy, but have now been found in a series of highly touted studies to be good for you in VERY specific ways. Want to avoid Type 2 Diabetes? Nuts. Want to live longer? Nuts. Avoid cancer and heart disease? Nuts.
I can’t honestly say I’m surprised, but I also admit to a bit of a thrill when the science proves what some of my crunchiest pals have been telling me for years. A good diet includes those crunchy protein packed shelled nuggets. Well, okay. So I’ll just start buying a little bag of roasted, salted… oh hey, here’s some honey roasted, sea salted nuts with little bits of dried expensive magic in the package. A bargain at 2.99 for 2 ounces!! Surely you know what I’m going to say next.
If you let them decide how you’re going to eat your nuts, you’ll be paying a whole lot for them, and more often than not the preparations they choose (and by them I’m referring generally to food industry folks with the ready acknowledgement that there are exceptions who do not deserve the derision implied here) will be laden with junk that will counteract the very health effects you’re looking for. If you’re going to get dark chocolate covered nuts, however, I have nothing bad to say about that, and yes that probably makes me a hypocrite. I digress…
We here at the pantry are huge nut fans, both of us purchasing in bulk and using them most often with little preparation or mixed in with other foods to add a delightful, and healthful crunch. In light of these recent revelations, I thought I’d give you a little rundown of our favorite ways to enjoy nuts…
1. Warm Bowl of Yum – features ground walnuts with quinoa and oats. Creamy, dreamy, and oh so satisfying.
2. Momma’s Multigrain Thanksgiving Pancakes – all the seasonal flavors cooked right in – including those fabulously health giving pecans.
3. Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancaked with Maple Cashew Butter - for those who aren’t really into all that crunch first thing and just want a mouth full of decadent yummy – this maple cashew butter will rock your breakfast world – pancakes, toast, a spoon, it’s all good.
1. Roasted Chili Lime Nuts - whether you’re watching the game, or hiding in the laundry room so you don’t have to share (wait, did I say that out loud…), these nuts will set your snacky heart on fire (especially if you bump up the chili ;-).
2. Easy Chocolate Almond Butter - on a cracker, on an apple, on toast, on your finger, detoxing almonds and chocolate. Do I really have to say more?
1. Creamy Walnut Pesto - on some pasta, on some rice, on baguette it’s oh so nice..
3. Waldorf Saute - put those great fall apples to work for dinner with some walnuts. Delish.
1. Walnut Crust Apple Pie – use those healthful buggers to make your next pie crust – a healthier holiday awaits.
2. Almond Joy Brownies - enjoy your almonds with some coconut butter and sweet potato brownie – you won’t be sorry.
3. Almond Lemon Jots – bake the healthy right in with these gluten free beauties.
So there you go – a handful of ways to get a handful of nuts, and live a longer, healthier life. Delish!